Monday, April 4, 2011

Am I a writer?

This is my first post in Wordsmaid. I'm facing a queer situation here.

To begin from the beginning, I've never fancied myself as a writer. In fact, I don't even understand how one can call himself/herself a writer. Does an identity such as a 'writer' really exist? I know there are poets, novelists, critics... even lesser mortals like copy writers who would write marketing copies on a given subject or theme. But what does a 'writer' do? Just write? Write what?

Ah! Let me get to the point. I used to write short stories and very rarely poems too. Then I got into a job as a Copy Writer. Then I moved on to become a feature writer for a news firm. But now, I think I've reached some point of saturation. I find myself short of words. My bundle of vocabulary has suddenly become empty. Well, I could have got along with that. Even worse, I find that my mind or brain has become devoid of ideas.

I wake up every morning thinking that I'd write something, maybe start a story. But when I sit down to write, I realise that I don't know my characters. I don't understand why the hero in my story has to deliver a certain speech or the heroin would feel trapped in a situation. And then when I try to create a certain situation, I fail to understand why it has to be like that and not anything different... To put it simple, I sit there staring at a blank page, get frustrated and then quit and watch some movie.

Is this because of a lack of any inspiration? The funny thing is that when I refer to my own creative pieces, I find them so incomplete. I look at them as ramblings of an unsatisfied mind, or as a means of venting out my creative surges.

Dear members of Wrodsmaid, I would be grateful if anyone of you can give me a suggestion to get out of this void.

6 comments:

resmi said...

Its terrible to find everything meaningless.I can relate.

Neethu Asokan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Neethu Asokan said...

looks like,like people together in an unlike blog...God!will this move forward...!
Maybe yes...!cz its always like that alle??

Kaveri Chandrakumar said...

Creative writing shouldn't be a forced affair....If a work is the product of a natural flow of creativity,even if there r errors, it doesn't spoil the beauty....it has a particular charm of its own...

Kaveri Chandrakumar said...

Finding everything meaningless is the order of the day....."post-modernism"..:-D

pooja said...

heollo there. i just read ur post and i go through feeling quite often.In one book i read,it was said that the one thing that stands between a good write up and you is this nasty beast called 'Perfectionism'.the three steps for writing they descibed was:1>get down your ideas.it doesnt matter how dumb or lame or incomplete it feels.Get down a terrible first draft.
2>Work on it.Chisel the edges etc.
3>Revision.Scrub,rub and polish your piece till it sparkles.

Dont let perfectionism get to you.Just put to paper what comes to mind.this was the advice the book offered.

I found it very useful and it works for me not that i can call myself a writer or anything.

I forgot!one more thing.Never stop writing.All the best..