Monday, July 4, 2011

When The Eyes Spoke.

A fine breezy evening.The light blue sky is furrowed with whispy bands of cottony white clouds.Sweet birdsong punctuates the air. The soft breeze keeps beat with the Tamil film song I hum.Enjoying the pleasant calmness of the evening, I sort the laundry put out to dry.As I fold the dry clothes ,I hear an awkward cawing overhead.Startled,my eyes flick up to see a slim black crow.

It stares back at me from its perch on a thin tree branch.Determination glistens in its beadlike eyes.It sits still and watches me.It sees that I mean no harm and swoops down onto the ground 10 feet away from me.It's found something to eat.Content,it enjoys its meal while casting wary glances my way every five seconds.But something isn't right.

I look at it again and notice that the bird hops on one leg.In the place of the second is astump with remnants of what was once a leg.

Imagine the horror and pain the loss of a limb may have caused to the bird.I looked into it's eyes again.The eyes spoke,"Time heals."

Time heals all wounds.

The loss of a loved one,the pain of separation,rocky,rough terrain along the path of life,emotional whirlwinds,physical illnesses.....time heals all.When tragedy strikes,and your world shatters,know that it is not THE END.

Nothing.Nothing marks the end of your world except Death.If you let it, time can heal any injury the vicissitudes of life may inflict on you.

I summon my wandering thoughts back to the present.I look at the crow.Yes.There was unbearable pain and confusion when it lost its leg.But then,as long as you are alive,you have to live.Just as time goes on,so does life.

"Don't give me that sorry look!It's my life and I live it my way!",cawed the crow as it tossed a glance at me before it took off into the vast skies.

8 comments:

anuja said...

Pooja, good observation and your philosophy is fantastic. keep going..........

wordsmaid said...

The beginning is good, short. Furrowed with wispy bands of cottony white clouds. (See, every noun is preceded with two adjectives. A bit cumbersome.) My eyes flick up..er…ok. Determination glistens…(good)

May have caused(might have)

There is rhythm when you carry on from where you stop in the previous paragraph(Time heals…good)

It is good.

pooja said...

Thank you sir.

('furrowed.......clouds'-I flicked that from one of your books.)

anu.j.das said...

U r rocking pooja.good one.

pooja said...

Thank you anuja & anu......

Kaveri Chandrakumar said...

Nice pooja...BTW, which song were u humming?:-D

pooja said...

thanks kaveri.the song huh...?....?

Kaveri Chandrakumar said...

Yup!!! the song.....:-D...
wanted to know if u misinterpreted the crow's expression..;-P