Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A JOURNEY THROUGH MY SCHOOL DAYS.

Today,while I sat on the cement bench under the tree-umbrellas,i remembered my schooldays,my alma-mater,my friends.....

I still remember the very first day I visited my school.There was a written test for admission.I was then four years old and was asked to write English alphabets by my teacher.I wrote well but missed the letter 'F'.In those days,'F' was always a hard nut to crack.Later we (I and F) became good friends and moved on together.

The journey of my school life began thus,followed by a sea of experiences,which made me what I'm now.

When we were the twinkling little stars of kindergarten,we sang about Jack and Jill, narrated the story of the thirsty crow, cried with Humpty-Dumpty and ran about like the mouse which ran up the clock.We danced with the music of the barbie girl and ate and drank and slept like babies.

Like the four seasons of a year, we passed through our L.P classes where Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver became our friends.It was a time when we 'shockingly' realised that there are altogether seven continents and five oceans, that there are so many countries in the world with there own capitals and currencies,so many books with their own authors, so many crops, so many roads, plateaus,valleys, and so many other things.Above all was the great trouble undertaken by us to capture all these in our little brains.

Then we moved on to the U.P section,where we became a little more serious about games and fun,always thinking about celebrations-parent's day, teacher's day and so on, when we were frequently frightened by the nightmares of 'question-answer' games held by our dear teachers, followed by 'cane-dances' and 'pinch-parties'.It was a time when Razia Sultana along with Rani of Jhansi and many others kindled the spirit of patriotism in our minds, when we hated the British who plundered our precious culture.It was also a time when our minds tasted the sweet harmony of spirituality.

Then dawned our High School life with colourful fancies.It was full-fledged with youth festivals,exhibitions,practicals and a lot others.In our practical classes, we fought with test tubes and chemicals.And one day in the Biology Lab, a boy named Tomy 'deposited' a cockroach, my greatest enemy inside my uniform coat and I screamed with fear to the amazement of my friends and teacher.I jumped over and over and by the time it left my coat,I was exhausted.While discussing my High school experiences I can't help saying about the weekend literary meetings conducted by the senior students of the school,where we enacted plays,recited poems and narrated stories.

The memory of classes conducted under the great-granny Jackfruit tree where we gave music to the poems of Kunchan Nambiar,Ezhuthachan,Chaghampuzha,Vailopilli,still replenishes my heart with joy.

The last year in the school arrived with 2006 when we entered the 10th standard.2006-2007 is a year which I can never,ever forget in my life.We were 27 kids of which 18 were boys and 9 were girls.We had Sr.Estelle as our captain with a long cane in her hand and a more beautiful,gentle,loving and caring heart within her.We never had the distinction that some were boys and some were girls.But we were friends,ready to help others,when they were in difficulties of any sort.

It was the year in which we learnt many things,both academic and others which helped and will help us to travel the journey of life,without much faults and breakdowns.Though it was a year rich with tension arousing test papers,it never dwindled our spirit.

It was followed by our picnic,board exams and finally the farewell when tears glittered in our eyes.We hugged and kissed each other parted with handshakes,but still we are one and will remain as such.

Let God bless us,so that in the next life we 27 kids will be able to be in the same class in the same school,quarrelling with each other,playing cricket,sharing jokes and finally,lying to the teacher in one voice,
"Teacher,you didn't tell us that you'll put the testpaper today."

8 comments:

anuja said...

nice one.........

pooja said...

A glimpse of your childhood days...nice Paru.keep writing....

wordsmaid said...

‘Tree-umbrella’! Pardon my ignorance, but what is it?
Visited? Or went? The last sentence of second paragraph brings a smile to the reader’s face(definitely mine). Good, you broke the monotony of short sentences with a long sentence beginning with “It was a time when we shockingly….”
Goodie, then you came a single incident. It is not generalizations which bring the picture, but specific things and incidents in life. (That Tom and Cockroach incident).
Paru write more, it is beautiful!

Paru said...

Thank you sir. By 'tree-umbrellas',I meant the umbrella like trees in our college yard.

Paru said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anu.j.das said...

Good ├Âne paru.god my bles u to share another wonderful time with ur the then friends.don't u like 2 share ur time with us?

Paru said...

Thank you all.

Kaveri Chandrakumar said...

Nice one Paru.....:-)